The Ledyard Libraries serve as a center of information for the community. We support and encourage the freedom to read, learn and discover in a welcoming environment. We provide friendly, knowledgeable service and free access to a diversity of ideas, resources and experiences. We strive to enhance the quality of life in our community, encourage lifelong learning and the love of reading.
Ledyard Public Libraries consist of two facilities which serve the community of Ledyard.
Bill Library in Ledyard Center, the larger of the two, was established in 1867 and maintained by the Bill Library Association. In 1893 Henry Bill donated funds for the original Bill Library Building. That building has been expanded twice, once in 1971 and again in 1982.
The Gales Ferry Library first began in 1917 with a collection of donated books set up on a shelf in the Gales Ferry Country Club as a lending library. In 1921 the Gales Ferry Free Library Association opened the first Gales Ferry Library on Hurlbutt Road.
It moved to a larger building in 1975 and was expanded twice, in 1991 and 2017.
The Libraries Today
In 1970 the Town of Ledyard established the Ledyard Library Commission and the libraries became a municipal department. A Library Director was hired to oversee both buildings and an operating budget was approved by the town. Since that time the town has provided over 90% of the operating costs.
Today, the Library system has a combined collection of over 83,000 items with an annual circulation in FY 17 of over 100,000 items. The library is part of a consortium – Libraries Online (LION) – consisting of 22 public, school, academic and special libraries. The libraries provide Online (computer) access to their collections as well as the collections in the other LION libraries. Remote access is also available via the Internet.
Here is the Annual report for FY 2017
The Ledyard Historical Society works in conjunction with the library to provide access to a local history collection. Books, journals, photos, maps and other items pertaining to Ledyard History are available at Bill Library.